
That's right kids...they're back. Rompers. But relax ladies...these are not your Laura Ashley rompers of the late 80s, with Mom and Daughter matching floral prints. Nor are they the wide short rompers of the mid 90's, that never quite fit right in the um....crotch area, for lack of a more lady-like term. No, these are a throw back to a more "Charlie's Angels" romper, designed to make the wearer feel feminine and sexy. So you may have seen the beginning of the Romper comeback on TV. I first saw it when watching the Bachelorette, don't judge, Jillian was wearing an adorable denim romper. It had a short-sleeve button down top ad short denim bottom...all in a sleek dark wash. It looked great on her...but what is she, a 100 pounds soaking wet? Everything looks great on her. I had pretty much told myself that the romper was not for me and I would ride this trend out.
So the other day, I got an itch for some Gladiator heels and decided to head to Monkees on the West End. Toryburch.com had some on sale and I thought Monkees might be carrying them. They weren't...so I started browsing the clothing racks. Usually, I find Monkees insanely out of my price range...but was pleasantly surprised to find some "reasonably" priced items. I spotted what I thought was an adorable strapless navy dress, with embroidery around the top and bottom...perfect sundress for weekend and beach wear ($75). But on closer inspection I realized it was...A Romper. I decided to try it on, just to see how this trend would pan out for me, but my hopes were not high. Into the dressing room I went and stepped into the romper...which looked huge but that was because it has to get over the hips (by the way I am 5'7", about 130 lbs, and I have exercised twice in 6 weeks. Needless to say, things aren't as "firm" as I would like, which is part of the reason I never expected what happened next. I pulled the romper up, tied the drawstring belt tight around my (sizable) hips, and looked in the mirror. Adorable! It was comfortable, it looked cute on me, and I could dress it up for night, but still bum around in flip flops! I stared in the mirror for a long time trying to decide if I was actually going to buy this trend which I had written off in my mind. I decided I had to do it, thinking that one day my daughter will go through my old clothes and think "what were y'all thinking?!" and that thought sealed the deal. The moral of this story is, give the romper or any other seemingly bizarre trend a shot. You just might discover a whole new look for yourself this summer!
Oh and if you had also decided that Monkees is out of your price range...I implore you to give it another try. While they still have the high dollar items, I found they have mixed in some more affordable and stylish options as well. Tell them Shop Girl sent you...it won't mean anything to them, but tell them anyway :-)
So the other day, I got an itch for some Gladiator heels and decided to head to Monkees on the West End. Toryburch.com had some on sale and I thought Monkees might be carrying them. They weren't...so I started browsing the clothing racks. Usually, I find Monkees insanely out of my price range...but was pleasantly surprised to find some "reasonably" priced items. I spotted what I thought was an adorable strapless navy dress, with embroidery around the top and bottom...perfect sundress for weekend and beach wear ($75). But on closer inspection I realized it was...A Romper. I decided to try it on, just to see how this trend would pan out for me, but my hopes were not high. Into the dressing room I went and stepped into the romper...which looked huge but that was because it has to get over the hips (by the way I am 5'7", about 130 lbs, and I have exercised twice in 6 weeks. Needless to say, things aren't as "firm" as I would like, which is part of the reason I never expected what happened next. I pulled the romper up, tied the drawstring belt tight around my (sizable) hips, and looked in the mirror. Adorable! It was comfortable, it looked cute on me, and I could dress it up for night, but still bum around in flip flops! I stared in the mirror for a long time trying to decide if I was actually going to buy this trend which I had written off in my mind. I decided I had to do it, thinking that one day my daughter will go through my old clothes and think "what were y'all thinking?!" and that thought sealed the deal. The moral of this story is, give the romper or any other seemingly bizarre trend a shot. You just might discover a whole new look for yourself this summer!
Oh and if you had also decided that Monkees is out of your price range...I implore you to give it another try. While they still have the high dollar items, I found they have mixed in some more affordable and stylish options as well. Tell them Shop Girl sent you...it won't mean anything to them, but tell them anyway :-)
xoxo
Shop Girl

No comments:
Post a Comment